Monday, June 30, 2014

A Letter to Sophie~

While living in China, Sophie was one of the lucky babies to be placed in foster care thru her orphanage. After her stay in the hospital for her heart surgery, she was taken back to the orphanage to the special care room, where she was prior to the surgery. The nannies in the special care room said that Sophie was so healthy after her surgery, and only needed to stay there for 2 weeks before being placed with her foster family.

In January 2014, after the Chinese government sent our Letter of Confirmation ( where Sophie and our family were officially locked together ), we sent Sophie and her foster family a care package. We had to send the package to her orphanage in Xiamen, who then sent it on to her foster family. Per Chinese government regulations, we are not allowed to be in contact directly with the foster family. In any case, one of the gifts I sent to her foster mom was a pretty picture frame. I was a little surprised when this same picture frame was sent back with Sophie on her Gotcha Day. Her foster mom put a recent picture of Sophie in the frame, prior to us uniting, which I thought was really sweet and would be a great memory for Sophie to have.



Fast forward 2 months from Gotcha Day to today...  I was switching out the above picture for a more recent one of Sophie in her red Chinese dress.  As I was taking out the older picture, I saw a hand written letter to Sophie on the back of the generic picture frame insert page.  I got chills immediately! I had prayed that Sophie's foster mom would send her a little letter when she was united with us- something that Sophie would later treasure...and sure enough, she did!  I think she hid the letter as she did due to the fact that we are not supposed to have contact with each other...this is only my guess.


So, now, I am on the hunt to get this letter translated for Sophie...I am over the moon excited that Sophie has this letter!

No comments:

Post a Comment