Monday, May 19, 2014

Night Night~


The first week after getting home from China was rough, sleep-wise.  We were all jet lagged.  Thank goodness my parents were here to get up and take care of the boys.  I tell you, it was about a week to normalize to Phoenix time again.  

Nap and bedtime are a bit different with adopted children.  We have to be in the room with Sophie when she falls asleep, to ensure positive attachment.  This was very hard for me initially. How am I to leave the boys alone to put Sophie to sleep when they are so attached to me and we have been apart for so long??  Over the first few days alone ( without my parents ) we worked out the kinks and the boys are able to watch a DVD, Netflix, or have quite time when I get Sophie to bed.  It takes Sophie about an hour each time to finally fall asleep.  That's quite a long time for a 3.5 year old brother to wait, let me tell ya!  Anyhow, it's getting easier at naptime, but Hayden is still having a hard time at bed.  He can't understand why I can't lay with him each night to fall asleep.  Poor thing.  We need a mommy and me date soon ;)

I have to say, Sophie is really funny as we lay in bed, trying to get her to sleep.  She cuddles, tells me stories followed by laughing at whatever she has said, sings with hand motions....awe, I just have to laugh ;)  Then, after her "playtime," I tell her it's time to lay down, close your eyes, and go ni-night.  I then sing to her, and she begins to cry! Not sure if she is crying at my singing, or if she realizes that its really time to sleep. So.Darn.Funny. The other funny thing Sophie does is kiss me every time I tell her ni-night. Melt.My.Heart. Then I tell her "I love you" in Mandarin, and she just giggles ;)

Overall, Sophie is adjusting so, so well.  She understands everything we say in English...everything we ask her to do, she does.  She also repeats us in English all the time.  She's a little sponge and it's so amazing. She is so smart and she is loving exploring her new home!







1 comment:

  1. So thrilled for this update! I am just blown away by your grace. If no one has told you lately (or even in the last 30 seconds), you are doing a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete